Do you know the difference between a personal Health Coach and a Group Coaching session? What are the advantages of group health coaching – apart from, of course, price. I get asked these questions a lot, which is why I decided to outline in this blog exactly what a Health Coach is and what group health coaching is. The benefits of group health coaching, why it works so well. This blog will outline why group coaching is so successful and the 3 big key things that group coaching will lead you to success with every endeavour in life that you want to accomplish.
What is a Health Coach?
What is Group Health Coaching?
Group health coaching has become more popular because of the success of group therapy.
The basic approach to Group Health Coaching is:
- Group Health Coaching is based on a small group format (the ideal size is: 6-8 participants). And includes nutritional, physical and emotional wellbeing education and skills by using expert coaching combined with peer support.
- The skilled and experienced Health Coach moderates and guides the group using techniques like deep listening, thoughtful reflections, and evocative questions.
- The group is a safe, nonjudgmental space that allows for creative exploration to support the members so that they can determine and focus on their own goals and action plans.
- The group creates powerful motivation for its members where the clients initiate and stick to their healthy changes as they move toward optimising their health and well-being.
Over the years I have witnessed a transformational change in both one to one and group coaching practice.
Below I’ve outlined below some of the benefits I have experienced with clients when group coaching:
Benefits of Group Health Coaching
95% success rate
Research on accountability by The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) discovered that individuals have 65% of sticking to a habit if you tell someone, and make a commitment. This percentage increases dramatically if you have a specific accountability group that you’ve made the commit to; the success rates increase to 95%
The biggest benefit of Group Health Coaching is the “sense of community” and the shared values of the group. This combination of a shared and focused commitment to reach one goal is very powerful. Everybody working together to achieve the same thing is incredibly supportive and nurturing.
I’ve noticed that when my clients make commitments toward their goals in front of the group, they have a greater sense of engagement and responsibility to follow through.
The benefit of the pledge made in front of others – not just in front of the Coach – makes the undertaking more absolute.
Supported and learning from others
Using other members of the group allows individuals to try out their new habits and adapt their behaviours and feel that they have the backing of others in the group.
The group forum creates a safe and open discussion on how changes can happen, how to adapt to personal circumstances by learning from others experiences. Clients can then adapt their own behaviours and feel encouraged to try again if needed. It is a strong learning process, where growth happens.
If you are interested in finding out more about the most common (and annoying!) misconceptions about Health and Wellbeing Retreats read my article
Variety of real-life experiences to try
The group approach leads to a huge variety of approaches that stimulates and encourages creativity.
Different solutions offered by the other members often give clients the courage to try something new. It is never one solution that fits all, but a collaborative experience that benefits all.
Clients have also explained that in a group setting they feel less alone. They enjoy and are more open to learning from other members’ experiences.
For example, when the members discuss their own “reasons for change” it sparks the other members to identify their own reasons to make changes. Sometimes hearing it from another individual’s perspective can be that ‘aha’ moment that makes the change seem more realistic. Often group participants find solutions to their problems or blocks from others in the group
Courage to try something new
Often clients feel overwhelmed when starting a new nutritional habit or changing their lifestyle to incorporate better movement and exercise routines. It takes courage and willingness to try new things.
It often feels harder on your own and that feeling of taking a greater risk, the disappointment of failure when you try things on your own. With the support of others and the “let’s explore this together” community feel of the group, the dynamic for change is very compelling.
The group setting is a great way to express support for each other in a nonjudgmental way.
The focus of the group is the same and that brings the strength of conviction. Members of the group are able to experience empowerment and try new things with less fear so that they can step out of their comfort zone and try new things.
Experiment with a new way of thinking and doing.
I talk a lot about this in my best-selling book, Gorgeous! If you want to make nutritional changes but feel overwhelmed and confused by conflicting information and you’re left bewildered about where to start then pick up a copy of Gorgeous!
Why Group Coaching works
The three key things that lead to success in anything!
Group Coaching provides a sense of belonging, a sense of connectedness. This shared learning environment also brings more accountability for the group members that clients would not always get from one-on-one or individual coaching.
This accountability factor is one of the most important factors in a group coaching setting.
The “collective wisdom” created and explored is often identified as another big benefit. Group Coaching provides a great insight into others which creates a combined peer learning process.
This collaborative group learning environment allows members to gain insights and learn from the contributions of like-minded members of the group. The group format allows for stimulation and understanding of their own reflections.
The group coaching process can feel less intimidating and “less on the spot” and provide more time for reflection and articulation of their insights.
Feedback reinforces learning and understanding. In a group coaching setting, feedback is instant and allows the recipient to develop skills quickly. Feedback, in this setting, also provides encouragement and increased confidence.
Feedback allows the group members to examine their own performance and find ways to improve performance, in a safe and collaborative environment.
Who is Group Health Coaching aimed at?
If you know that you prefer a group setting, stimulated by others then the Group Coaching experience is perfect for you. Members often arrive in the Group Coaching with vastly different life experiences yet when they will often share many of the same patterns, paradigms, fears and blocks. This similarity will reveal characteristics that you have been using.
Groups will have the same goals and dreams which provides a strong feeling of they have camaraderie with another than they would just work with a Coach one to one.
Prefer Video? Watch My Video
Gentle Reset: My Group Coaching Programme
Reset your body and detox your mind in my 6 weeks Group Coaching Programme
My Group Coaching programme is based on a 6 weeks course that will focus on your health and wellbeing. Inside the 6 weeks Gentle Reset you will be able to reset your mind and detox your body and you will be provided with the support you need to get a healthy lifestyle in a place. A big part of that means that you will have nourishing eating habits that will give you more energy and more motivation as well as the appropriate levels of exercise.
Who is my Group Coaching Programme for?
- If you are busy (dare I say overwhelmed) professional woman, successful in so many other aspects of your life but find it hard to find time for you then my Group Coaching Programme is perfect for you.
- If you are looking for nutrition, exercise and emotional wellbeing that is tailored to you, your life and your commitments.
- If you are over 40 and wondering what the next 50 years are going to look like for you, then my Group Coaching programme is a great way to reset your health.
- If you are looking to move your health onto the next stage, and create a new lifestyle that supports and nurtures you rather than drains you. Then the 6 weeks Gentle Reset is perfect for you – Join here: 6 weeks Gentle Reset
- If you know that you are looking to improve your nutrition and nourish your body by adding in great nutritional and exercise habits that will not lead to burnout instead you will feel energised and vital so that you can take on all those ‘life’ tasks that previously you found so draining.
- Or you are looking to increase your mental agility, enhance your creativity and problem-solving abilities. to tackle the next stage in your career and life then jump into the Group Programme
- If you want to feel emotionally and physically stronger so that the stress of life doesn’t send you into a spin of negative coping strategies and behaviours then join us for the next round.
If you are looking to read more before you decide then read more about my Group Coaching programme click here: 6 weeks Gentle Reset
The next round of Gentle Reset begins on 19th April 2021 Get your mindset ready and join today to get started on your first habit, then join in the calls when the first round starts. Click here to join the 6 weeks Gentle Reset
BE QUICK this programme, along with all my programmes will be increasing in price very soon > Click here to find out why I am raising my prices
But also how you can grab a place before my prices go up, you need to be fast.
Gorgeous is your journey of discovery
PS. If you have read enough and you know that this is for you, and you are ready to discover the next stage of your journey – then click here to join my next round before the prices rise